Divorce often brings out the worst in people, and if you want a front row seat to see exactly what that means, then simply become a divorce attorney. They are at the frontline of bitterness and have a ton of stories to share. Recently a few did just that on reddit, and we were stunned. Please, as you seek out a divorce attorney or attempt to go through the process on your own, don’t behave like these individuals.
1. “Had a client whose soon-to-be-ex-husband used her email address and phone number to sign her up for every bank, loan, religious, mental illness, and pornographic site he could think of. She was bombarded by people contacting her about her interest in their product/services. … He even put out ads for sex partners on Craigslist with her information. The kicker is that she actually went out with a guy who contacted her! … If I learned anything being a divorce attorney (I no longer practice), it was that if the opposing party sounded like a nutcase, I would soon see the nutcase come out of my own client. Normal people don’t just accidentally marry crazies (not often)!”
2. “I once represented a client from a divorcing couple who still lived together pending the sale of the family home but would not speak to one another for any reason whatsoever. Had to negotiate terms with opposing counsel for the sharing of refrigerator space.”
3. “Honduran couple came in for divorce consult. I informed them I could only represent and advise one of them, and Wife called first, so I am representing her. He furiously storms out. Two days later, he hides in the bushes outside the house where she is staying. When she leaves to go to work, he jumps out and decapitates her with a machete.”
4. “I once represented a husband divorcing his wife of 35+ years. They were in their late 60s. At mediation they divided up about a half million in assets within 30 minutes. Then they spent 2.5 hours fighting over 2 hurricane glasses from Pat O’Brien’s and a pitchfork. … They remarried three months later.”
5. “… my favorite story was a wife armed with dozens of photographs, police reports, domestic violence injunctions, and a best friend eyewitness to corroborate the brutal physical abuse inflicted upon her by the husband over the previous however-many-months. … However, in an unexpected twist of fate, their home security cameras caught her inflicting injuries upon herself on a handful of occasions … including the time the cameras caught punches being thrown by the best friend eyewitness.”
Divorce can make people act in strange ways, but you don’t have to join them. What are you most concerned about from your spouse as the divorce proceeds?